Part of the Convection Working Group came together at the EUMETSAT Conference in Geneva Switzerland for a splinter meeting. The minutes of the meeting can be found here: 20141024_CWG_splinter_meeting_Geneva_8Sep2014.
The joint EUMETSAT-ESSL Convection Working Group has met from 7 – 11 April in Zagreb to review the state-of-the-art in the use of satellite data for the detection and prediction of convective storms. Over 40 participants from Europe and around the world presented and discussed their research. The workshop dealt with techniques that assess the preconvective environment, to detect the development of storms and to monitor mature stages of their life cycle. In addition, ways to combining satellite information with other data were discussed. The use of satellite imagery with a very high temporal resolution, such as that obtained in the 2013 experiments with 2.5-minute scans, received particular attention.
These are the presentations of the meeting:
Session 1: Pre-convective environment
- Marianne König: GII and forecast background fields [pdf].
- Mária Putsay: Satellite derived instability indices – some further insights (part I) [pdf].
- Zsófia Kocsis: Satellite derived instability indices – some further insights (part II) [pdf]
- Ralph Petersen: Diagnosing and predicting the pre-convective environment on 20 June 2013 [ppsx]
- Izidor Pelajić: Preliminary results on using hyperspectral data in stability analyses [pdf]
- Daniel Rosenfeld: Use of satellite measurements of surface skin temperature for retrieving the intensity of thermals [pdf]
- Sung-Rae Chung: Development of Instability Index of GEO-KOMPSAT-2A [ppsx]
- José Miguel Fernández-Serdán: Brief introduction to a tool upgrade [pdf]
- Ralph Petersen: Lessons learned at the ESSL summer experiment regarding current and future observations and predictions of the pre-convective moisture structures [ppsx]
- Thomas Krennert: Symmetric instabilities in DMC initiation [pdf]
Session 2: Early Convection
- Daniel Rosenfeld: Use of high-resolution NPP/VIIRS imager for retrieving cloud base temperature and application for estimating boundary layer vapour mixing ratio [pdf]
- Danyu Qin: CMA rapid development convective clusters algorithm for FY-4 [pdf]
- Yasuhiko Sumida: Efforts of upgrading Rapidly Developing Cumulus Area product using NWP data and the satellite simulator [ppsx]
Session 3: Mature Convective Clouds
- Pao Wang: Dynamical processes at the storm top [ppsx]
[movie 1; avi] [movie 2; avi] [movie 3; avi] [movie 4; avi] [movie 5; mp4]
- Daniel Rosenfeld: Using MSG retrieved cloud parameters for nowcasting of severe convective storms [pdf]
- Jochen Kerkmann: Case study of cold ring-shaped storm [ppsx]
[movie 1; mp4] [movie 2; mp4]
- Jochen Grandell: Status of LI proxy data [ppsx]
[movie 1; avi] [movie 2; avi] [movie 3; avi] [movie 4; avi] [movie 5; avi] [movie 6; avi] [movie 7; avi] [movie 8; avi]
- Luiz Machado: Nowcasting the fortracc and lightning – the CHUVA campaign [pdf]
- Mateja Iršič Žibert: Importance of remote sensing data in cases where NWP does not capture convection [pdf]
- Wayne Feltz: Weather watches and warnings for the 20 May 2013 Moore, OK, tornado outbreak’ [pdf]
- Humberto Barbosa: The African Easterly Waves and their influence on hurricane activity in the tropical North Atlantic: An assessment of hurricane Bill (2009) using SEVIRI data and products [pdf]
- Jochen Kerkmann: Short information: More on hurricanes [ppsx]
[movie 1; avi] [movie 2; avi] [movie 3; avi] [movie 4; mpg]
- Luiz Machado: The use of multi-channel imagery for inner cloud wind extraction and cloud classification [pdf]
- Martin Setvák: Use of the VIIRS Day-Night Band for nocturnal storm-top studies and for night-time sandwich products [pdf]
Session 4: Rapid Update Imagery
- Steve Goodman: 1-min super rapid scan demonstrations at the GOES-R proving ground [ppsx]
- Kristopher Bedka: The co-evolution of total lightning, ground-based radar derived fields, and GOES 1-min super rapid scan satellite observations of deep convective cloud tops [ppsx]
[movie 1; mov] [movie 2; mov] [movie 3; mov]
- Martin Setvák: 2013 MSG 2.5 min rapid scan experiments – summary and early results [ppsx]
[movie 1; mov] [movie 2; mov] [movie 3; mov] [movie 4; mov]
- Ján Kaňák: Evaluation of overshooting tops observed in super RSS experiments in both HRV and IR spectral channels with respect to detectability of OT brightness temperatures and penetration heights [ppsx]
[movie 1; avi] [movie 2; avi]
- Agostino Manzato: 2.5 min scans: Case study in NE Italy – a supercell outbreak [pdf]
- John Mecikalski: Uses of 1-min GOES data for understanding in-cloud processes [ppsx]
- Monika Pajek: Preliminary remarks and analysis of Meteosat 2.5 min data in convective situations
- Ján Kaňák: Consistency checks of RSS and super RSS image time sequences and their importance in evaluation of storm top features [pdf]
Session 5: Combining Datasets
- John Mecikalski: Relationship between lightning, radar fields and satellite IR data for convective storms [pdf]
- Kathrin Wapler (presented by Fabian Senf): Synergetic use of multi-sensor data [pdf]
- Luca Nisi: Forecast verification and forecasters’ feedback: one year of COALITION operational service [ppsx]
- Wayne Feltz: Integrated Observations for Probabilistic Severe Storm Prediction [ppsx]
- Nataša Strelec Mahović: OTs and lightning and connection to hail occurrence [pdf]
- Oleksii Kryvobok: Short-range forecasting and nowcasting operational products for severe weather [pdf]
- Monika Pajek: Analysis of a tornadic storm case with use of model data
- Kristopher Bedka: Short information: Development of satellite-based climate data records of hazardous convective storm activity
- Fabian Senf: The OASE project within the Hans Ertel Centre for Weather research – data composite and early results [pdf]
- Luca Nisi: Hail project and the Alpine Thunderstorm Archive (ATA): New research activites at MeteoSwiss [ppsx]
- Luiz Machado: The severe storm geographical observation system [pdf]
- Pieter Groenemeijer: The ESSL Testbed [pptx]
Please find the Minutes of the CWG Splinter Meeting (6 June 2013 in Helsinki) available for download here.
The Workshop met on 4 September 2012 at the EUMETSAT Conference in Sopot.
Here you can find the Meeting Minutes.
From 27 to 30 March 2012, the Working Group met in Prague for a workshop.
Here you can find the Workshop Minutes.
Presentations of the Workshop were arranged in several topic categories. Their files can be found here:
- Pieter Groenemeijer, The ESSL Testbed [pdf].
- Estelle de Coning: Satellite based nowcasting products in the pre-convective phase for southern Africa [pdf].
- Takumu Egawa: Development of Instability Indices for Early Detection of Severe Weather Phenomena [pdf].
- Christo Georgiev: MPEF DIVergence product Interpretation scheme [ppt].
- Jochen Kerkmann: Understanding Convective Clouds through the eyes of Meteosat Second Generation [ppt].
- Marianne König: MSG Derived Instability Indices – Overview [pdf]
- Dan Lindsey and coauthors: GOES-R Risk Reduction Project: Predicting Convective Initiation 1-6 Hours Prior to Occurrence [pdf]
- Ralph Petersen and coauthors: Why do GEO-Satellite-based NearCasts? [pdf] and more examples [pdf].
- Jenni Rauhala: Pre-convective environment [pdf].
- José Miguel Fernández-Serdán: Improvements in the operational intranet web page for accessing MSG data and products [pdf].
- Takumu Egawa and Akira Sobajima: Detection of Rapidly Developing Cumulus Areas from MTSAT-1R Short-Time Interval Images [pdf].
- Wayne Feltz and coauthors: Development and Application of a Satellite-based Convective Cloud Object-Tracking Methodology [pdf].
- Steven Goodman: GOES-R Geostationary Lightning Mapper (GLM): Convective Initiation and Severe Storms [pdf].
- Sofia Kocsis and coauthors: Improvement of Convective Initiation Product for Meteosat Second Generation Satellites [ppt].
- Thomas Krennert: Basic Investigation of Symmetric Instability During Convective Initiation in the Alpine Region [ppsx].
- John R. Mecikalski: Geostationary Satellite-based Convective Initiation Nowcasting: Current Capabilities and Operational Aspects [pdf].
- Luca Nisi and coauthors: COALITION: merging Satellite, Radar, NWP and orographic information for predicting severe convection [pdf].
- Maria Putsay and coauthors: Meteosat-8 RSS Convection Initiation Product, Improvement and Radar Based Validation [ppt] [avi movie].
- Dennis Stich: CI Nowcasting at DLR – Snapshots of ongoing research [pdf].
- Rachel Albrecht and coauthors: CHUVA Project: 2010-2011 and Perspectives for 2012-2014 [pptx].
- Kris Bedka and coauthors: Objective Detection of IR Temperature Minima within Convective Cloud Tops: Validation, Applications and Relevance to Nowcasting [ppt].
- Aydın Gürol Ertürk and Kris Bedka: Comparison of MSG Overshooting Top Detections and MSG “Storms” RGB Applications [ppt], movies: airmass-RGB [mpg], IR108 [mpg], HRV [mpg], OT [mpg], storm-RGB [mpg].
- Ján Kaňák: Time and space distribution of mature convection over Europe based on MSG Airmass product [pptx], movie: [avi].
- Ján Kaňák: Tool to estimate cloud top height based on sun illumination and cloud shadows [pptx], movie: [avi].
- O. Kryvobok and V. Balabuh: Combination of satellite data and instability indices for estimation of the storm severity [pptx].
- Cecilia Marcos and Antonio Rodriguez: Convective Rainfall Rate Algorithm Evolution [ppt].
- Petra Mikus and Nataša Strelec Mahović: What happens with the weather in the vicinity of the overshooting top? [ppt].
- Mária Putsay and coauthors: Simultaneous observation of above-anvil ice plume and plume-shaped BTD anomaly atop a convective storm [ppt], movie [avi].
- Daniel Rosenfeld: Satellite retrieved cloud microstructure providing insights and adds predictability to severe convective storms [pptx].
- Jose Serdan (for Ana Genovés): Nowcasting Severe Weather Experiment – 2011 NoSWEx [pdf].
- Martin Setvák, Kris Bedka and Dan Lindsey: BTD (WV – IR window) – informal comments and discussion [pdf].
- Inna Sobchenyuk: Possibility of a use of the “cold ring” indicator on stallite images in operational nowcasting/forecasting of severe weather [pdf].
- Humberto Barbosa: Training Experiences from the South American Group of EUMETCast Operators (SAGEO) [pdf].
- Sung-Rae Chung: Rainfall Detection through COMS in KMA [pptx].
- Hartwig Deneke and coauthors: Contribution to DWD’s Hans Ertel Research Centre (HErZ): Object-based analysis and seamless prediction (OASE) [pdf]
- Jochen Grandell: Geostationary lightning monitoring with the Meteosat Third Generation Lightning Imager (MTG LI) [pptx], movie [avi], movie [youtube].
- Davide Melfi: Satellite Rainfall Estimation [pdf].
- Monika Pajek and Piotr Struzik: Long Data Series Analysis – Satellite Climatology of Thunderstorm – Poland Experiences [pdf].
- Caroline Forster and Arnold Tafferner (presented by Dennis Stich): Summer Campaigns at MUC [pdf].
Minutes of early CWG Meetings can be found here:
CWG Meeting in Palma, 4 October 2011
CWG Meeting in Cordoba, 24 September 2010
CWG Meeting in Darmstadt, 8 September 2008
CWG Meeting in Krakow, 15-16 November 2007