Convection Working Group splinter meeting was held during European Conference on Severe Storms 2023, in Bucharest, Romania, on 11 May 14:30-16:00. The minutes of the meeting are available, see the link below.
Author Archives: Vesa Nietosvaara
Convection Working Group Splinter meeting in Brussels 2022
Convection Working Group splinter meeting was held during EUMETSAT Meteorological Satellite Conference in Brussels, Belgium, 22 September 2022 at 15:00-18:00. Venue: EUMETSAT Conference, Room Vesalius.
- Actions after Budapest Meeting
- Discussion on Nowcasting collaborative environment in the European Weather Cloud, introduction by Xavier Calbet
- Any Other Business
Convection Working Group and MTG 3T Forum Meetings 16-20 May 2022 in Budapest, Hungary
Convection Working Group and MTG 3T Forum meetings will be held jointly on 16-20 May 2022. This event is intended for CWG and MTG 3T Forum participants. We have some online attendance seats available for convection researchers and experienced operational meteorologists outside these groups.
The topics of this joint meeting will cover:
- New imager channels and products;
- Data visualisation for the new generation satellites;
- Satellite vertical profiles;
- Lightning observations from space;
- Research – Operations conversations;
- Multi-sensor and integrated approaches;
- Training elements/materials
The meeting will take place in Budapest, Hungary, with online participation possible as well (hybrid solution).
For inquiries, please contact CWG chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org
New ESSL–EUMETSAT partnership on using next-generation satellite data in severe convective storm forecasting
EUMETSAT has contracted the European Severe Storms Laboratory (ESSL) for a period of three years. The ESSL will train forecasters in Member States’ National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHS) on the use of products from EUMETSAT next-generation MTG and EPS-SG missions for severe convective storm analysis.
The aim is to train in total about 10–15% of the operational meteorological workforce in European weather services, or about 200–300 forecasters.
While EUMETSAT has been a member of ESSL since 2008, this contract forms the first formal relationship and is intended to pave the way for longer-term collaborations in support of the European meteorological community.
CWG meeting online 6-8 April 2021
Convection Working Group meeting was held online 6-8 April, 2021, organized by OMSZ and EUMETSAT. The final minutes of the meeting are now available below.
The themes for the meeting included:
– New imager channels and products;
– Data visualisation for the new generation satellites;
– Satellite vertical profiles;
– Lightning observations from space;
– Research – Operations conversations;
– Multi-sensor and integrated approaches.
Convection Working Group Meeting 2021 Presentations
CWG held its meeting online 6-8 April 2021. Convection experts and operational users gathered together for three days to exchange on latest convection research and applications in meteorology.
The presentations are now available on CWG website.
The meeting minutes are available.
We thank all the presenters and participants for fruitful discussions and lively exchange of ideas.
Convection Working Group Online sessions April 2020
Convection Working Group will host two online sessions on 21 April 2020.
Tentative Schedule for Live Presentations
Session 1 : Tuesday 21 April 08:00-09:00 UTC
- New products for MTG and NWC SAF. Xavier Calbet AEMET, Spain
- NWCSAF Convection Products. J.-M. Moisselin, F. Autones, M. Claudon,Météo-France
Session 2: Tuesday 21 April 14:00-15:00 UTC
- Use of 1-min resolution satellite imagery coupled to ground-based observations for cloud process determination:John Mecikalski,Atmospheric Science Department, University of Alabama in Huntsville, USA
- Hail Storm Risk Assessment Using Space-Borne Remote Sensing Observations and Reanalysis Data. Kris Bedka, NASA Langley Research Center, USA
CWG Splinter Meeting 2019 in Cracow
Convection Working Group splinter meeting was held during ECSS Conference in Cracow, Poland, 4-8 November. The splinter meeting took place on Thursday 7 November 15:00-16:00 at room Attic.
Read more about ECSS Conference
CWG Splinter Meeting in Tallinn 2018
Convection Working Group held its splinter meeting during EUMETSAT Conference in September 2018.
The meeting summary notes are attached here.
CWG splinter meeting EUMETSAT conference 18 Sep 2018 Minutes
For historic overview CWG has the archived McIdasVCast software available. The version offered below is for McVCast1.4 from 2014.
Please note that standard McIDAS-V software has several updates since 2014, and the latest version you can download at the official McIDAS-V site.
To install the McIDASVCast system, we recommend that you:
1. First downlaod the Setup Guide.
2. From the guide, determine which of the following packages you need, and then download that package: