Convection Working Group splinter meeting was held during EUMETSAT Meteorological Satellite Conference in Brussels, Belgium, 22 September 2022 at 15:00-18:00. Venue: EUMETSAT Conference, Room Vesalius.
- Actions after Budapest Meeting
- Discussion on Nowcasting collaborative environment in the European Weather Cloud, introduction by Xavier Calbet
- Any Other Business
The Final Minutes of the Meeting (pdf)
Convection Working Group and MTG 3T Forum meetings will be held jointly on 16-20 May 2022. This event is intended for CWG and MTG 3T Forum participants. We have some online attendance seats available for convection researchers and experienced operational meteorologists outside these groups.
The topics of this joint meeting will cover:
- New imager channels and products;
- Data visualisation for the new generation satellites;
- Satellite vertical profiles;
- Lightning observations from space;
- Research – Operations conversations;
- Multi-sensor and integrated approaches;
- Training elements/materials
The meeting will take place in Budapest, Hungary, with online participation possible as well (hybrid solution).
For inquiries, please contact CWG chairs at email@example.com
EUMETSAT has contracted the European Severe Storms Laboratory (ESSL) for a period of three years. The ESSL will train forecasters in Member States’ National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHS) on the use of products from EUMETSAT next-generation MTG and EPS-SG missions for severe convective storm analysis.
The aim is to train in total about 10–15% of the operational meteorological workforce in European weather services, or about 200–300 forecasters.
While EUMETSAT has been a member of ESSL since 2008, this contract forms the first formal relationship and is intended to pave the way for longer-term collaborations in support of the European meteorological community.
Convection Working Group meeting was held online 6-8 April, 2021, organized by OMSZ and EUMETSAT. The final minutes of the meeting are now available below.
The themes for the meeting included:
– New imager channels and products;
– Data visualisation for the new generation satellites;
– Satellite vertical profiles;
– Lightning observations from space;
– Research – Operations conversations;
– Multi-sensor and integrated approaches.
CWG 2021 Final MInutes
CWG held its meeting online 6-8 April 2021. Convection experts and operational users gathered together for three days to exchange on latest convection research and applications in meteorology.
The presentations are now available on CWG website.
The meeting minutes are available.
We thank all the presenters and participants for fruitful discussions and lively exchange of ideas.
Convection Working Group will host two online sessions on 21 April 2020.
Tentative Schedule for Live Presentations
Session 1 : Tuesday 21 April 08:00-09:00 UTC
Session 2: Tuesday 21 April 14:00-15:00 UTC
Convection Working Group splinter meeting was held during ECSS Conference in Cracow, Poland, 4-8 November. The splinter meeting took place on Thursday 7 November 15:00-16:00 at room Attic.
Read more about ECSS Conference
The Final Meeting Minutes
Convection Working Group held its splinter meeting during EUMETSAT Conference in September 2018.
The meeting summary notes are attached here.
CWG splinter meeting EUMETSAT conference 18 Sep 2018 Minutes
For historic overview CWG has the archived McIdasVCast software available. The version offered below is for McVCast1.4 from 2014.
Please note that standard McIDAS-V software has several updates since 2014, and the latest version you can download at the official McIDAS-V site.
To install the McIDASVCast system, we recommend that you:
1. First downlaod the Setup Guide.
2. From the guide, determine which of the following packages you need, and then download that package: